Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pinterest Photo Challenge Day 3: Mail

Today's Pinterest Photo Challenge is Mail. Nothing in my mail is too exciting... but as I was unpacking some boxes, I came across a letter that was somewhat life-changing.

This letter arrived in my box in 1996. It says:

"Dear Sonia, You don't know me, but I hope I have some good news for you. I'm sitting here watching a show on family being reunited with long lost family members. This letter is to let you know where your dad is..."

My dad left my mom and I when I was 5. He left us...and left us with nothing. He hung around the periphery for a couple of years, always promising he'd come and take me somewhere fun, then wouldn't show up. Eventually, he just disappeared. I spent most of my childhood looking for his face in a crowd, wondering if I'd recognize him. I saw him at a funeral when I was in the 3rd grade. I spoke to him on the phone for Father's Day when I was in 5th grade (after which he promptly changed his phone number.) I didn't see him again until after I got this letter when I was 28 years old. I drove to his home to see him a couple of times...and then he disappeared again without a word. I saw him again in 1998 when I had to claim his body from a funeral home. I was his next of kin. Although he never took care of me, I managed to make sure he had a funeral and was buried in our family plot.
He wasn't a good father, but I suppose he did the best he could. Regardless, I guess things work out the way they should. His shortcomings taught me how to be a better parent to Libby and Roan.

No comments: