Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

One lucky girl... me!

The Man is on my mind, so I decided today's blog post would be about him... I've known the McGowin family since about 1988. Sharla and I were roommates, and she's still one of my best friends, today. When Sharla, Michelle and I shared a townhouse, Shannon brought his kids, Jay and Mallory, up to us to babysit. I remember seeing him for the first time and thinking "Wow!". Then I remembered he was married with two small children. And that I was 19 and he was 29. I probably cried. I don't remember. So, over the years, we've been at various McGowin family functions. I'd get verklempt, and tell Sharla "He's so handsome...I don't think I can stand to be in the same room with him!" She'd say "Oh, Sonia...he's my BROTHER!". She can't talk about how hunky her brother is. So, in the interim, I got married, had kids, got divorced... and I never forgot about him. In February 2009, Michelle and Sharla came to KC for my birthday. We were sitting in a hot tub and Sharla mentioned that her brother was single. I told her that I'd long ago given up on him... to which she uttered six fateful words: "Just give it one more try." So, I emailed him. I had just gotten divorced and needed some advice about how to file my taxes. Who better to ask than a CPA? (Which he is!) So, we emailed chatted intermittently for a few months. Then, I finally got the nerve to ask him on a date. My BFF Suzie always goes to a super-awesome Halloween party and she suggested I ask Shannon. So I did. And he said YES. And I thought I was gonna hurl. So, he came to KC and the rest is history. I am so totally in love with him, for lots of reasons:
He took me to Memphis on a vacation last year. He took me to Graceland and fed me good food. This is a picture of my two favorite men.




He likes my cooking. When something is really good, he closes his eyes during the first bite...and shakes his head a little bit. That makes me happy. And every night after dinner, he stands up and gives me a kiss. That's my little 'thank you' for whipping up something yummy. Then he does the dishes. Who wouldn't love that? Oh yeah, and he can grill and make great french fries and onion rings from scratch. And the kids insist that HE make the macaroni and cheese...




He is my rock. He is the same every day. Some say 'predictable' is a bad thing. I love it. I always know what to expect. And there's no drama. There's no going out with the boys. He's happy at home with us...




He is a good and generous provider, even to kids who aren't his. He's great at teaching them how to do stuff like fold paper airplanes, kick a football and turn out the lights when they leave a room. The kids say he's a little strict sometimes, but I think that's a good thing. And, he never fusses if I spend $10 on another snowman or another flower.




We're a good team. We cook together, we built a room together, we travel well together. We talk and laugh and have so much fun every day. He has taught me how to relax, and how to sleep late on Sunday mornings. And along with him comes a terrific family. I get to have lots of people over for dinners, which makes me happy. How did I get so lucky? I guess it's good that I was patient. It only took 20 years!

1 comment:

debdenno said...

I'm sooooooo glad that you are so blessed!
:) Debbie