Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, July 15, 2011

Life Lessons at Camp TLC

I waited a really long time to have kids... I was never sure I had it in me to love someone like that. Turns out, I do have it in me.
Remember the movie "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"? I love the scene where Rebecca DeMornay goes to the little girl's school playground and has a come-to-Jesus meeting with the school bully. I did that once...and I'm not ashamed to admit it. There was a little boy at preschool who pushed Libby head-first down the slide. I saw it happen and nearly lost my mind. I don't know what came over me, but I guarantee that little boy never bothered my daughter again. I had another moment like that one the other day. This summer, Roan has been attending "Camp TLC" at Trinity Lutheran Church here in Jeff City. He's loved it so far, and never complains about going. (If you know my boy, you know that complaining comes easy...). The other night, he mentioned that two boys were ugly to him at Camp. He said they were painting pictures and these boys messed his up. I asked him more about it, but honestly didn't think it was a big deal. The next morning, one of the teachers approached me and told me more about the situation. I guess these boys were taunting Roan, ruining his picture and calling him names. I just couldn't believe it. If those boys had been in front of me, I might have pulled the Rebecca DeMornay move again...but I restrained myself. I work very hard to teach my kids to be kind to others, not to use ugly words, not to tease, etc... It kills me when other kids are mean to mine. It breaks my heart...and I hurt for them. I know it's part of growing up, but I don't like it.

So instead of losing my mind on two little boys, and instead of crying, I gave my sweet boy some extra lovin'. I hope it helped... and I hope this doesn't happen again. 'Cuz if it does, Rebecca may have to rear her head again. And believe me, nobody wants that.

No comments: