Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Tale of One Meal...OR ...The Challenge of Toothlessness!

Libby was born a picky eater. What she chose to eat was very healthy, which was a blessing, but...it's limited. Since she could eat table food, she has pretty much only eaten fruit and pasta. Her Auntie Sarah convinced her to eat a Little Smokie when she was a toddler and that opened the meat door...but still only hot dogs and Little Smokies. I know I'm the parent and should have insisted she eat what the rest of the family was eating, but I didn't... I always made her a separate meal. If we went anywhere (to a friends' house, to a restaurant), I just packed Libby's cooler with what she liked. No big deal.

When Roan came along, he ate most anything. So, for all these years, dinner consisted of two meals...what Roan and I have and what Libby has. When people learn this, they look at me like I'm crazy. I've never really thought that much about it...until recently. The kids spent the night at Aunt Suzie's house...so I packed the famous cooler with what the kids liked. Suzie laughed when she told me that both kids ate what she cooked. hhmmm. This got me thinking... Then, when we started visiting Shannon's, I brought the cooler. He thinks I'm nuts. And suddenly, here's Libby eating what he makes for breakfast. Things like bacon, scrambled eggs and toast. With no fussing. What I'm figuring out is that I'm a sucker for these kids!

So last night, Roan and I stopped at Hy-Vee to pick up the cake we ordered for his classroom party. (Yes, I know, I'm a horrible mom for not making it myself. Usually I do...but...). Walking by the produce aisle, he saw corn on the cob and begged me for it. So we bought 4 ears. Then he saw broccoli (which he LOVES) and begged for that too. A 5 year old begging for vegetables? Like I could say no to that!? We headed home with our Ben 10 cake and veggies. Roan tells Libby what we got at the store and she says...hang on now... "I want that for dinner, too!". So, both of my children ate the same meal: steamed broccoli and corn on the cob. Nothing else. I nearly fainted. So, I think the days of separate meals are over! Gee, it only took 5 years. I needed to get a clue, seriously.

As you know, Libby has no front teeth at the moment. I thought this would stop her from eating her corn on the cob, but no....
she devoured it. It took a little longer, but she got it done!
And of course, Roan ate his like crazy. Please ignore the fact that the cob holders are two paring knives. We ate so much corn this summer that all of our cob holders bit the dust, except one pair which Libby quickly claimed. Being the oldest and being toothless affords one certain privileges, I guess.

So, that's the tale of ONE dinner last night. Let me tell you, it was exciting! Suzie and Shannon will be so proud of us! lol

No comments: