Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, October 5, 2009

Our New Old Drum Set

A requirement in our home is that each child must learn to play two instruments. Libby has been in piano lessons for about 1 1/2 years and is coming along great... as of last week, choice for her second instrument is violin. Roan REALLY wants to take piano lessons, too, but being who he is, he's not quite ready for that much concentration and commitment. When discussing his instrument choices, he immediately said "DRUMS"...this, of course, pleased me to no end. So, we agreed to start Roan on drum lessons, with his mom as his teacher. My mom still had the snare drum I used from 5th grade through high school, so we got that out, put on a new head and got him some kid-sized sticks. I also had a drum set in high school, which has been in storage since 1986. Yesterday, we brought the drum set home!

Roan trying out his new drum set.
Libby giving it a shot... she's decided she wants to have drum lessons, too.

I've always really hoped that one or both of my kids become a musician. Roan has always had a really good ear for pitch and rhythm. I would love for him to be another "Tadpole" (RPHS alums will understand), Alex VanHalen, or Neal Peart. I want him to have something he's awesomely talented at. I'd love for him to march in Drum & Bugle Corps, and be in a garage band in high school. Being a musician through high school and college gave me such terrific friendships and are some of my fondest memories. I want that for both of my kids.

No comments: