Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 7, 2011

Roan and Taekwondo

Roan has been asking for a while to take Taekwondo. As it turns out, one of the doctors I work with has a good friend who owns a Taekwondo studio here in town. Dr Tang highly recommended Master Howard, so we went last week for our free initial lesson. Roan was so excited to go, he could hardly sit still! Master Howard asked me what goals I would like to see Roan achieve through TKD. I said he has a little trouble with bilateral integration -- he's not great at riding a bike yet. I also said I'd like for him to work on coordination, balance, focus and concentration.
He's so cute, I can hardly stand it!

During Roan's first lesson, he did a great job paying attention and following directions. Master Howard taught him how to punch, which Roan thought was awesome. Then he taught Roan to kick. Believe it or not, the boy can kick as high as his head! When he did that, Master Howard said "I think we may want to place him in the older class!" I sure was proud of the little squirt! So instead of being in "Tiny Tigers", he's in "Tigers BBC". This is a big deal when you're 6! He gets to go to class twice a week. Exciting for him, but a scheduling nightmare for mom!
This is Roan's first class last Wednesday. That's him in front. Look how much bigger the other boys are! There are a couple smaller kids, too. He paid attention and did everything the instructors asked. He was given a stripe on his belt; when they get three stripes, they get to move up to the next belt.

Look at the passion and concentration! He really loves this. In fact, after his first class, he said "Mom, I really think I was born for this!". In order to earn the privilege of TKD classes, he's committed to completing a checklist of responsibilities every day, such as making his bed, setting the table and putting his clothes in the hamper. He also is required to say "Yes, sir" and "No sir" during class; he decided it would be good to say it outside of class, too.
Now, of course, Libby wants to take Taekwondo, too!! I'm going to go broke on lessons!

No comments: